November 1, 2012

NaNoWriMo

Yo, peeps.

NaNoWriMo is here.

That's write.

NaNoWriMo, baby.

And I'm not quoting Mork and Mindy. Or speaking to you in tongues. I promise.

NaNoWriMo is an acronym for National Novel Writing Month. Every year, in November, aspiring writers from all over the world converge online and attempt to get that ugly first draft done in thirty days. It may not seem like much, but coming up with 50,000 words consecutively can be daunting. Especially if you want it to make any sense... This is my first year attempting the first draft in a month thing, but I'm not doing it alone. I convinced my friend Courtney to join me and I think we're going to have a blast!

Writers can talk online or they can meet up with other writers in their perspective writing region. I haven't done this and probably won't. I just don't have the time and, if I ever can sneak a few minutes in for writing, then I HAVE TO WRITE! Those words just don't type themselves people.

You can also chat with other people online in the various forums about plotting, character development, grammar style and usage and so on and so forth. It's pretty cool but can also be a suckhole of time, like facebook. The best piece of advice I can give anyone who is trying to take this seriously is . . . GET OFF THE INTERNET! And just work on writing. Day after day after day. And, before you know it, you might be getting somewhere!

So, if I'm sparse for the next few weeks, you know what I'm up to. And, if I'm on her a bunch, then you'll see just how bad I procrastinate. *sigh*









No comments: