January 5, 2012

Land of Enchantment


A few years ago we received a Norman Rockwell print entitled, "The Land of Enchantment." The picture shows a boy and girl, lying with their bellies on the floor, totally engrossed with reading a book.
If you didn't know better, you could mistake that little boy and girl for any one of our children.

Our kids love to read. They devour books.
This Christmas, one of the main items on almost all of the children's wish list was books.
As if we don't already have thousands of them spilling off every available shelf space in our house...

I guess the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Adrian and I were both avid readers when we were little. I can remember spending hours, lying on my bed and reading. Adrian's family tells stories of him, lying on the couch with books in hand, oblivious to everything going on around him.

A good story finds you not being able to put the book down.
A good story can make you laugh out loud or send tears streaming down your face.
A good story stays with you and is not easily forgotten.
A good story captures your heart and mind.

That being said, I haven't read anything other than children's books or books for school in a very, very long time.
I had this grand idea, as of late, to form a book club. Something, I believed, that would force me to sit down and take the time to read again.
I was super excited about it, until I started to panic.

Who was I kidding? I haven't read a novel in forever! The thought of a book more than 100 pages terrified me. Plus, where was I going to find this "extra time" that has always eluded me before?

My eleven year old had a great idea for me. She suggested that I download the Kindle app for my phone. Why hadn't I thought of that earlier?
I think it's because I've been a little suspect of Kindle.
After all, it's not a real book.
But, since almost everyone I know received a Kindle for Christmas, it seemed like a decent proposition. At least I'd be up to date on my techiness.
Yes. Techiness.
Because I am usually very un-techie....

Anyway, I did it. I downloaded Kindle onto my phone.
I downloaded that app to bring reading back into my life.
I downloaded that app to prove to my eleven year old that I was still with it.
I downloaded that app because there are free books. Who knew?

And my life has not been the same since.

I'm behind on my laundry, who knows what we're going to eat for supper, and when my children ask me a question they are sometimes met with an absent "uh huh" from me. Because I'm attached to my phone screen.
But, I'm reading again.
And it's pretty wonderful...

2 comments:

Monique said...

So, what are you reading? I need a good right now.

Angella Eisman Design said...

Ah...I just entered the world of Kindle too! Jeff gave me a kindle for our anniversary a few days ago. Still getting the hang of it so I've just read one free book so far but I can already tell it's going to be great.