September 9, 2011

Bourbonish "Whiskey" Peach Jam

Okay, I'll be the first to admit it.
This jam had me at "Bourbon". ( And, initially it did! That is, until I used the whiskey bottle instead of the Bourbon bottle.... What's the difference anyway? They both burn my throat.)

I am, typically, a very boring jam maker.
"Hello. My name is Linda, and I sometimes lack creativity in my cooking."

I follow the instructions listed on the Certo package and never look much farther than that. Perhaps, once in a while, I will sneak a peek at my Ball Blue Canning Book for something different. Sad, sad, sad....

I think it's mostly due to the fact that I don't sit down and take the time to look any farther. That, and also the fact that when I am making jam, it's usually due to overripe fruit and the infestation of fruit flies in my house. I hate fruit flies.

I guess I've been doing more sitting these days. Perhaps the moon and the stars were aligned correctly for me to step out of the box a bit... Or, maybe I just actually took the time to type in "Peach Jam" on the google bar. Whatever the cause, the effect was wonderful.

And, since Colorado Palisade Peaches are all over the place right now, you still have time to make this jam for yourself too!

The ingredient list is pretty simple. Peaches, sugar, cinnamon, vanilla, bourbon whiskey and a package of liquid pectin.
Of course, I took a picture of the two most important ingredients together.


Seriously?!? How could I even take a picture of this bottle, then post it on here, never once realizing that this was whiskey instead of bourbon? I don't know....



The recipe only calls for a little bit of Bourbon whiskey, so if you don't have a big ole' bottle of it sitting around your house, I bet you could just go to the liquor store and get one of those cute little bottles. You know, the kind that you could totally smuggle into the Husker football games.... not that I ever did that or anything.

Moving along....

Follow the instructions and you'll be the proud owner of lots of little (or big) jars of Bourbon Whiskey Peach Jam. You might have to give this jam a few days to "stiffen up" a bit. (I put mine in the fridge after it had cooled, and it set up wonderfully). I am sure you could add more pectin if you really wanted to, but that's always tricky. One time I did that and ended up with jam that had the consistency of a bouncy ball.



This is what my jam looked like when I was done. Peachy, bourbony whiskey sweetness filled with chunky pieces of peach fruit and little pieces of cinnamon floating around.
I can't wait to open up our first jar and spread it on some freshly toasted rye bread.


Bourbon Whiskey Peach Jam
3.5 lbs peaches (about 8 or 9 peaches)
7 1/2 cups sugar
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/4 cup bourbon
1 tsp. almond extract
1 cinnamon stick

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Drop in your peaches, carefully, and cook for 1 minute. Quickly dump them into your sink and give them a nice, cold water bath. Slip your peaches out of their skins and dice them up.
Next, take those naked peaches and put them in a large, non-reactive, pot. Throw in the sugar, lime juice and vanilla, bourbon and almond. Then, with a potato masher in hand, you need to mash it all together... just until you get the consistency you want.
Over medium-high heat, bring the peach mixture to a rolling boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute, then add the pectin. Bring the jam to a rolling boil one more time and cook for exactly 1 minute. Don't overcook, because you don't want to have bouncy ball jam.
Ladle your hot jam into your hot, sterilized jam jars, following canning rules. Process in your canner for 15 minutes.
When the jam is done processing and has cooled down, check to make sure you lids have sealed. If not, you'll have to keep them in the refrigerator.



Happy Canning!

As a side note here, the jam still tastes wonderful... even though it's not bourbon but is instead whiskey. I guess that means if you don't have bourbon in the house, you can substitute your whiskey. It's kind of like the redneck version of Bourbon Peach Jam. Or.... wait a minute, did I actually come up with something new??? Could it be????
Maybe I should just start calling myself the Redneck Chef.... might be interesting blog fodder.


 

2 comments:

Adrian said...

I am checking the box for "funny," because this isn't really bourbon jam, but instead "scotch," jam. She gets upset with me and the girls for not following the recipes... Regardless it still tastes great!

Linda said...

Now, wait a minute. I'm confused. Is it scotch or whiskey... or are they the same thing? Do I need to take a class in learning the hard liquor classifications? Maybe I just need glasses.
I'm blaming this on me being pregnant and my brain being turned to mush. End of story.