June 30, 2011

Rhubarb Meringue Pie

My name isn't Betty Crocker, Paula Deen, Julia Childs, Martha Stewart, Duncan Hines, Davy Crockett or John Jacob Jingleheimer Schmidt.

What does that have to do with anything? I have no idea....

I'm pregnant, remember? I think I'm losing my mind.

This week I tried to make a Rhubarb Meringue pie. This isn't something new to me. I've made this pie for years now, since it was first introduced to me by my mother-in-law. I love this pie. It's sweet, and tart, and lip-smacking delicious.
Problem is, for whatever reason, no matter what I tried to do.... something went wrong.

I was originally going to make the pie on Monday night. However, that didn't happen since we had a baseball game that night. "No problem!", I told myself. Next morning (Tuesday), I made the pie crust and baked it. The crust was perfect! Hooray! But, then I got busy, and the pie making had to be put on hold. "No problem!", I told myself. The next morning (Wednesday), I diced the rhubarb up. I was planning on finishing the pie, but it was so hot here that a trip to the pool sounded better. "Hmmm....", I told myself. "I hope that pie crust doesn't start to taste stale."
I woke up this morning (Thursday), looked at the pie crust and pushed it aside. I just wanted it to go away. Then, I opened the fridge. There was the diced rhubarb! Just sitting there, waiting for me to pay attention to it. I also pushed that aside. I honestly was done with this stupid pie! Why can't it just bake itself?!!??

So, tonight, I finally made the dumb pie. But, not without forgetting to add a key ingredient, the cream. Phooey!
So, what did I do? I had to make another pie, just because I love it so and I wanted it to taste right! Plus, I hate it when I do stupid things like that. And, I also had the cream poured. I wanted to have a taste of that cream in this infuriating pie!!!
I quickly made the pie crust, only to have it shrivel down when I baked it. Phooey!
I made the filling for the second pie anyway, put the meringue on top, and called it good.

We had two Rhubarb Meringue pies for dinner tonight. The children were pleased with me. Even if they weren't perfect, they still tasted good.


So, now I'm challenging you to see if you can make this Rhubarb Meringue pie in less than a week's time. If so, I will give you the honor of being called Betty Crocker for a day.

Rhubarb Meringue Pie
1 baked pie crust

Filling:
3 T. butter
4 cups rhubarb, diced
1 cup sugar

Melt butter in saucepan. Add rhubarb and sugar, cooking until tender. Combine the following ingredients:

1/4 cup sugar
3 T. cornstarch
2 egg yolks
1/4 cup cream
1/8 tsp. salt

Add this to the rhubarb mixture in saucepan, and cook at medium heat until thickened. Cool and pour into baked pie crust.

Meringue:
3 egg whites
3-4 T. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla

Beat egg whites until frothy. Slowly add sugar, beating on high until egg whites are very stiff. Add vanilla. Pile meringue on top of rhubarb pie and bake for 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees.

No comments: