June 18, 2011

Blueberry Banana Bread

Banana bread is a comfort food for me. Just slice me a piece right out of the oven, while it's still warm, and smear it with butter and serve it with a glass of cold milk. Yum.

Most women know how to make banana bread. It's relatively easy to bake.
I have lots and lots of recipes for banana bread. Most of them are pretty similar. I do have a few favorites. But, I have found that here in Colorado, my most favorite banana bread recipe doesn't do the trick. It sinks in the middle. I blame it on the high altitude.
So, that made me have to switch to a different recipe. And, boy oh boy, if you live in high altitude, you've got to try it. It's wonderful. And adaptable. Add nuts or don't add nuts. Add fruit or don't add fruit. It's always a winner.

Here's a recipe just for my high-altitude friends.




High Altitude Banana Bread
4 T. butter, softened
2 eggs
2-3 bananas, mashed
2/3 cup sugar
1 1/3 cup flour
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. cinnamon (optional)
1/2 cup nuts (optional)
1/2 cup blueberries, or raisins, or chocolate chips (your choice, optional)

Cream butter and sugar together. Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down bowl. Add bananas. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in fruit or nuts, if using.
Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until brown and middle is done.




No comments: