June 14, 2011

Banana Split Cupcakes

This is a recipe that I found when I typed into google, "Too many bananas. What should I make with them?"
I sometimes find it interesting to type in things like that to the google search and see what it spits back out to me.

Well, interestingly enough, a blog named "Annie's Eats" came up with this fabulous looking cupcake recipe on it. Then, I also remembered that my friend Jan had made these earlier and posted it on her blog. So, I decided that I had to make them next!

Honestly, the presentation of the cupcake is enough to want to at least try to make them once...


Banana Split Cupcakes
Cupcakes:
2 1/2 cups flour
1 T. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
12 T. butter, room temperature
2 1/2 cups sugar
6 eggs
1 cup plus 2 T. buttermilk
1 1/3 cups mashed banana

Filling:
1 lb. strawberries, hulled and diced small
2 T. powdered sugar
12 oz. crushed pineapple, drained

Frosting:
1 1/2 cups heavy cream, chilled
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

Ganache:
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, chopped
1 cup heavy cream
1 T. corn syrup

Sprinkles
Maraschino Cherries


Directions:  Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tins with paper liners.
Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt; whisk together and set aside.
In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle, cream together the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes). Reduce speed to medium-low and add in eggs, one at a time, scraping down bowl. Mix in banana. Alternately add dry ingredients and buttermilk, ending with dry ingredients.
Fill cupcake liners 2/3-3/4 full. Bake 20-22 minutes.

For the filling, combine the strawberries and powdered sugar. Toss well, slightly mashing with a fork. Allow berries to macerate 20-30 minutes. To fill cupcakes, cut a small cone out of the center of each cupcake with a paring knife. Add a tsp. or two of strawberry filling. Top with a tsp. or two of crushed pineapple, filling to top of cupcake.

For the frosting, add heavy cream to a chilled bowl fitted with a whisk attachment. Whip on medium-high until soft peaks form. Add powdered sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Blend in vanilla. Pipe a swirl of whipped cream onto each cupcake, covering filling. Chill cupcakes in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

For the ganache, place chocolate in heatproof bowl. Bring cream to a simmer over medium-high heat. Remove from heat and pour hot cream over chocolate; let stand 1-2 minutes. Whisk together until thick, smooth ganache forms. Blend in corn syrup. Let stand at room temperature 10 minutes before decorating.


Whew! There's a bunch of steps involved in these cupcakes, isn't there?

I almost didn't make them for that exact reason. Because, seriously, at our house there are only a few steps involved in making cupcakes. Open the cake mix box, mix it up, pour batter into the cupcake tins, bake 'em, frost 'em, eat 'em. Yum.

So, the fact that more was expected from me for this recipe was a little daunting. But, it wasn't really that bad. I made the filling while the cupcakes were baking. Then, after the cupcakes were filled I made the frosting and frosted the cupcakes. They stayed in the fridge overnight and I made the ganache the next day. It was pretty simple.

There are, however, a few suggestions that I would make concerning this recipe before you try it.
1. If you are looking for a big banana flavor in the cupcakes, you need to add more banana or flavoring or something. Lots of cupcake testers felt the same way. Although, the cupcake itself was very moist and yummy.
2. If you don't like bittersweet chocolate, switch up the ganache a bit. I might even suggest just skipping making ganache and buying a jar of fudge topping instead. I think that is what I will do the next time.
3. Don't be afraid to load that cupcake full of filling. It really makes the cupcake interesting and all the more delightful to eat.

That's all I have to say! I hope you have the chance sometime to make these for your family, or a potluck, or some special event. Their presentation is beautiful and they are sure to be a hit!







3 comments:

Shannon M. said...

Are you at the point where you just want to smash and freeze the rest? I'm wondering if your test kitchen staff will hit the wall when you come up with another banana concoction. :-)

Linda said...

Well, I made the men's softball team be the samplers for these cupcakes. But, I think the children are enjoying it. They know that smoothies are coming at the end of the week (thanks to your wonderful suggestion!).

Shannon M. said...

We've had smoothies for breakfast this week and it's a bit challenging. I make most of them the night before and then just before we drink them I'll put in frozen strawberries or blueberries so they'll stay cold longer. Double up on the bananas for added thickness. And how in the world do you cut a mango? The one I tackled this morning was more like a pear, probably not ripe but overall, smoothies are a great breakfast.