May 13, 2011

Special K Bars

Since the whole subject of elementary cafeteria food has been swirling around in my head, I've been reminiscing about some of the food that I remember being served in our school cafeteria.

(You can feel free to post what you remember eating at the cafeteria below, I'd love to hear it.)

I can positively say that almost every child in Kindergarten through Sixth Grade loved the mini pizzas that our lunch ladies served. You know, the kind where you take an English muffin, split it in half, put the pizza toppings on and toast it. Yum. I still make those occasionally for my children when I need a quick, easy meal.

I also vaguely remember some type of salmon patty, that always seemed to have a layer of slime on top. I also remember eating it, because I was so hungry, and actually living through the experience. Now I love salmon. I think, at the time though, the slime substance on top probably kept a few children from enjoying it to the fullest potential.

Of course there was the chocolate milk on Friday's. Do schools still do that? I think the only time in my life that I've ever drank chocolate milk was on Friday's in elementary school and high school. It was such a treat!
And, I also remember Rice Krispie treats and Special K bars being two of my favorite desserts. They still are.

Special K bars are gooey. And sticky. And chocolaty. I'm sure that they would be regarded as toxic waste now in the school cafeteria's because one of the main ingredients is (gasp!) corn syrup!!!
But, because they are so good, I'm going to share one of my most favorite childhood memories with you. And, I guess you'll just have to decide for yourself if you want to risk the side effects.




They are pretty irresistible. And children love them. But your bathroom scale may hate you for eating them.






SPECIAL K BARS
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup corn syrup

Combine these first two ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to a short boil.
Stir in:

1 1/2 cups peanut butter
6 cups Special K cereal

Spread this mixture in a greased 9 x 13 pan.

In another saucepan, melt together:

3/4 cup butterscotch chips
3/4 cup chocolate chips

Spread on top of bars. Cool and cut into bars.

I hope you enjoy making and eating these! For me, it brings back great childhood memories!

No comments: