February 28, 2011

Pride of Iowa

I grew up on a farm in Iowa.

A place full of rolling hills, lush vegetation and high humidity.
A place full of yucky, black flies that bite and wondrous fireflies that light up the countryside in the evenings.
A place where, when the wind blows from the south, you smell the pig yards and the cattle manure.
But, when the wind blows from the north, you smell the sweetness of freshly cut alfalfa fields.
There is nothing that compares to that sweet smell of freshly cut alfalfa...

I would be lying if I didn't tell  you that I love my childhood state of Iowa.
Iowa.... You make me smile! (it used to be the "slogan" that fit me perfect)

So, it should come as no big surprise that one of my most favorite cookie recipes is entitled, "Pride of Iowa" cookies.

They are one of the easiest and best cookies you can bake.

Since we were finally feeling a bit more like ourselves, after weeks and weeks of illness, we made these cookies last night.

Annie and Maggie helped me.







Go ahead. Try the recipe for yourself. My guess is that they will quickly become a favorite of yours too.
After all, how can a cookie named after the great state of Iowa not be wonderful?
I smile just thinking about them....

Pride of Iowa Cookies
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened
1 cup white sugar
2 eggs
1 cup coconut
3 cups quick oatmeal
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups flour
1 cup chopped pecans

Cream butter and sugars together. Add eggs, one at a time, mixing well. Add coconut, oatmeal, baking soda, baking powder, vanilla and salt. Mix well. Add flour. Stir in nuts.
(as a side note, although the recipe doesn't call for the addition of chocolate chips, I add them anyway. About 1 cup of chocolate chips mixed in with the nuts.)
Roll into balls, about the size of a walnut, and press down on cookie sheet with a fork. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.




No comments: