February 22, 2011

My Grocery Bill

My grocery bill has been growing.

Has this been happening to any of you as well?

I stick to strict budget when it comes to groceries. I have a whole "pantry" system worked out at my house (which is a topic for a later date).
I usually know what a good deal is and I won't buy anything unless it fits my "good deal" status and also works with my budget and my pantry rotation.


I can usually always stick to my budget. Until lately.
So, I am beginning to realize, that my shopping strategy has to change a bit and there are a few items I need to keep an eye on to make sure they don't surge in price as well.

I went to the grocery store a few days ago. I had oatmeal on my list. I buy the generic oatmeal and can usually get it for about $2.
I almost had a panic attack when I saw the price, for the generic, was up to $3.99. Seriously?
The name-brand price was $5.19.
For one container of oatmeal.
Outrageous!
Since when did oatmeal become a luxury item on my shopping list?

Have you looked at the price of juice, or ice cream lately? (those are luxury items on our list)
The prices are high.
Milk, sugar, flour, butter, yogurt.... all those things have increased as well.

I am happy to note, and feel it is my duty to inform you, that I did see oatmeal on sale at Safeway.... 2/$5. That is a great deal right now (it wouldn't have been in the past). Throw in a coupon and it brings the price down to 2/$4.
I bought 6 of them.

I am afraid there are going to have to be more price adjustments made in my shopping scheme.
And, I'm thinking that it's going to be important for our garden to produce bountifully this summer. I have a feeling I'm going to need to can more than I did last year.

Get ready people. Prices are going up.

And, in the meantime, I will continue hunting for lower prices at my grocery store that is in the midst of getting remodeled.
Did I mention that?
Oh yeah...
I think their oatmeal prices are paying for it all .....

5 comments:

Rani said...

You are preaching to the choir my dear friend. But, I have managed to change my habits to fit my lifestyle, too. Lately the coupons from Target.com have really been adding up, especially since they are stackable with manufacturers coupons. It is not on my regular shopping route, but the deals have made it worth the out of the way stop lately. Target.com has coupons just keep an eye out for the ones you get in your paper and remember to stack 'em. I also follow a few blogs with lists already telling me which deals are less than a dollar.
Also, I heart amazon.com. It seems crazy but I can get diapers and coffee and lots of other things for cheaper than at Walmart delivered to my door for free. I only have 4 littles and I know that makes a huge difference in my life. When you have a moment, yeah right, take a look at the grocery section. I like the managers special section. It takes some getting used to but if you are diligent you can get the deals. I try to post some on my blog under the deals tab if you are interested :) Hope you are getting well. We have strep here, four outta 6 of us have meds, ick.

Rani said...

Amazon has a great deal on Skippy peanut butter again. You can get 6 jars for just $7.98 shipped or $1.33 ea!
Here’s how:

Go here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E4Q5T6?ie=UTF8&tag=couptodisn-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B001E4Q5T6

Order the Skippy Peanut Butter, Reduced Fat Super Chunk, 16.3-Ounce Jars (Pack of 6)
Select the Subscribe and Save option to save 30% (I usually go with 6 months)
Enter the code UNILVR77 at checkout
Your total should be $7.98 shipped.

Amazon prices change in the blink of any eye. So if you want this get it NOW because it will be gone...

Linda said...

Rani,
Thanks for the suggestions! It's good to keep each other informed about where the good deals are at. :)
I'm definitely taking your ideas and running with them!

Rani said...

2 very quick more deals for you today
http://www.passionforsavings.com/2011/02/cinnamon-life-cereal-6-boxes-for-9-62/

and
http://www.whosaidnothinginlifeisfree.com/2011/02/hunts-pasta-sauce-printable-coupon/ should make for very cheap sauce...

Rani said...

http://licentstosave.blogspot.com/2011/02/amazon-grocery.html

if you aren't afraid of bulk items these are good deals in my book...

if you would rather me email these to you I can :)