February 9, 2011

Heart Pot Holders

"You're too hot to handle..."

You know, I've been waiting all week to type that one.
I'm sure that when my mother's and my sister-in-laws receive these, they'll appreciate my sense of Valentine one-liners.

Ahhh... a sewing project. I like to sew. Lately, it's felt great to get that sewing machine out again and remember things like: how to thread the machine, how to wind a bobbin.... you know, all those minor details.

So, when I happened across this little gem of a sewing project, I knew I had to try it.
After all, how hard can it be to make a potholder???
Martha Stewart Valentine Pot Holders


I like Martha, but her and I have a somewhat rocky relationship.
I appreciate her for the fact that she crafts beautiful things.
I especially like her nature crafts. And her baby crafts.
And, for the fact that most everything she does is from scratch. (c'mon people... she has even made Peeps by herself.... who does that???)

But, this is the problem I have with Martha.
I am afraid that she sets me up to fail.

I've had this happen on more than one occasion, so I should know better by now. After all, she was sentenced to a prison term! These things I should remember, but I always give her the benefit of the doubt... and then, she burns me....

Last year, Joanna and I tried to make her beautiful heart-shaped hand soaps.
They didn't turn out beautiful like Martha's... but we still used them.
Martha also didn't mention that I should use old pans to melt the soap in. I felt like we were tasting glycerin in all our casseroles for a few months after that.
She's tricky like that....


So, this year I was enticed by Martha again. And, I had to try it.

They turned out like this...........






 Pretty cute, huh? I guess I can't blame it all on Martha. My sewing ability isn't quite up to par yet.
 If it were, they would look even better.

However, if you want to try these at your house, here are a few tips from me:

1. Make sure you don't listen to Martha about the cotton batting. Instead, you'll want to make sure and get the Insulated batting, used especially for projects like this.
Otherwise, your gift recipients may just burn off their fingers taking that hot item out of the oven.

2. Don't listen to Martha about template sizing. She said to adjust the template to 200%. I did that, and the first one turned out HUGE! If you have man hands, then go for it. But, it's almost big enough to be a chair pad.....
On the second one, I went with 150% enlargement, and it was much better.

3. Martha, Martha, Martha!!! She doesn't tell you about the pockets on these potholders. But, yes, the little flap do-hickies that you first sew bias tape to are pockets. So, don't be alarmed when you are cutting out fabric and wondering just what those little do-hickies are about.

I think that's it. They were a fairly easy project, even for a beginner like me. Try 'em out!

Oh, and I'd love to hear if you've ever been burned by Martha on a crafting project.
I'm guessing I can't be the only one.... can I????

2 comments:

Elisabeth said...

So after our conversation the other day I started thinking about Martha since I get her cooking magazine. I have made 2 things out of it this week and in both cases I agree with your theory. She leaves important stuff out. For example, GREASE THE PAN!

Sandrinha said...

I want to say thank you for the information about this project. I am beginner also and I was going to do everything Martha sad, but first I read the coments and I found your blog.
With your tips I didn't commit the mistakes ;)
Thank you and I wish you well.

www.brasilhawaii.com
Sandra