February 15, 2011

German Pancakes

On Sunday, I woke up with a fever. I didn't realize that I actually had a fever though until late in the afternoon, when my body said, "Enough is enough!" and made me fall into bed. Although I didn't have a fever yesterday, my body was still achy and tired. I was grumpy. Today, the littles have the fever. They are, as I write this, snuggled in our bed, watching cartoons and sipping orange juice.

Thankfully, I have a great husband who jumps into the midst of things and takes charge. After my announcement of, "I have a fever!" on Sunday evening, he took control of the kitchen and made dinner.
When Adrian has to make dinner quickly in this house, he has a favorite "go-to" meal. Of course, it involves bacon.

Actually, although I felt totally yucky while he was making dinner, I had to snap a few pictures just because his bacon always is so good and crunchy, and the German pancakes are so puffed up and pretty.


You want of piece of bacon right now, don't you? It's so brown, and so crunchy, and so greasy....




I got a picture of Adrian in action! Don't his German pancakes make your mouth water?
The recipe he uses is just a simple recipe from the red and white checkered Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. They turn out fantastic every time and the children love to eat them.

On this particular evening, he added a jar of our canned peaches to the batter. It made them a little heavier and more filling. I think you could probably substitute the peaches for almost any fruit... but we haven't tried it yet.
He also puts a generous amount of cinnamon-sugar topping on, right after it comes out of the oven, when the butter is still bubbling around the edges. It soaks in and adds a nice sweet, crunchy crust on top.



How about this for a fast, easy, warm, tummy filling meal? It took about 30 minutes before dinner was served and there wasn't a single piece left after the children were through with it.

Oh, Adrian is so wonderful. I love it when he cooks.... and cleans.... and takes care of the children....
I'm going to go snuggle with the littles now and sip orange juice with them, knowing that my house is well tended to.....

Oh, wait. I'm not sick anymore.
Bummer.


German Pancakes
2 T. butter
3 eggs
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup milk
1/4 tsp. salt

Place butter in a 10-inch ovenproof skillet (we use pie pans). Place in a 400 degree oven for 3-5 minutes, or until butter melts. In a bowl, beat eggs until well combined. Add flour, milk, and salt. Beat until smooth. Immediately pour into the hot skillet. Bake about 25 minutes or until puffed up and well browned. Sprinkle pancake with cinnamon-sugar and cut into wedges.
Serves 6.



2 comments:

Courtney said...

I'm going to try this recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Courtney said...

Linda,

I've made these about half a dozen times now--they're a huge hit around here.

Thanks for posting this. Please post any other good recipes you have.