January 25, 2011

Live! From Red Rocks...

Most everyone is familiar with Red Rocks Amphitheater in Morrison, Colorado. So many bands have performed there, from The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, The Rolling Stones to U2 and Coldplay. I must admit, however,  that we have not attended a concert there yet. Perhaps it is because Sesame Street Live hasn't been on the venue ticket.

Regardless, we went to Red Rocks yesterday. Not for a concert, but to go on a hike. They have some great trails that are fairly easy, which is good because I'm totally out of shape.

This was the view at the beginning of our hike. This would have been a beautiful picture if it weren't for the fact that I had my fingerprint smudge on the lens.

Here we start, at the beginning of the trail head. It was a brisk, but sunny day. There was still a bit of snow on the trail in spots, but it was mostly dry.



(try to look past the smudge) I thought these rocks looked like giant heads. It's amazing how they don't just topple off and smash into smithereens.


(are you getting used to the giant smudge mark yet?) I don't know what this plant was, but I immediately thought of the first Christmas tree that Adrian and I helped decorate at Mahoney State Park.


Don't the children look teeny? That's because these rocks are HUGE! I think we were about halfway done with the hike at this point.




This is one of my favorite pictures (minus the fingerprint smudge). Sam is trying to enlighten Peter about the deep grooves in the rock. He is explaining in detail how they were probably left behind after the flood. Peter, on the other hand, is too busy trying to figure out how to keep his Spiderman stretch gloves on. Poor Sam. Guess he knows how I feel sometimes when I'm teaching school...


Do cactus bloom in winter? I have no idea. I did, however, dare Adrian to eat one of the blooms. He declined. I just thought it might be a chance for us to try out all those "survival skills" that Bear Grylls has taught us. Maybe next time....

Our hike was done and we were ready to take on more. So, we headed towards the amphitheater. It was all uphill. (cue charlie horses)

The city of Denver is located in the smudge mark. If you squint a little, you can kind of see it. We were almost to our destination... and I was out of breath.  


This is from the bottom of the amphitheater, looking up. All I can say is, climbing to the top of these stairs reminded me of that horrible, creepy work-out video from the 90's, "Buns of Steel". My thighs still cramp up at the mention of that  VHS tape.
There were, believe it or not, people running up those stairs! Unless I'm Rocky Balboa going against some super Russian boxer, I'm taking it one step at a time.


Did you notice Adrian and children in that last picture? They were there, at the top. Even when I zoomed in they looked little.


Finally, I made it to the top. There is the famous amphitheater. It was pretty cool. And fairly empty. Only a handful of tourists and people working out. Otherwise, the place was all to ourselves!


Adrian took us down the backside of the amphitheater. This was much easier than going up. It was a fun way to go down, even thought I'm not sure that we were supposed to be on that trail.


This was the backside of Red Rocks, when we were rolling down the trail. Beautiful, isn't it?

We will definitely be back for some more hiking. And, next time, I'll try not to smudge up my camera lens.

4 comments:

Angelique said...

Looks like a good day. I'm looking forward to plenty of hikes and walks in my future. Ted and I saw Lyle Lovett there on July 30th (our anniversary) last year and even with the non-stop rain had a great time!! I love Lovett. :)

Linda said...

Oh, Ang! If you walked up that ramp to get to the amphitheater, you might just go into labor! :)
I almost did, and I'm not even pregnant!

Angelique said...

Haha, the real question is could I make it to the top without having to use the bathroom?! :)

Shannon M. said...

We went there several times right after Tim's ankle surgery. The uneven stairs were quite the challenge. I love it there.