January 24, 2011

Giddy Up!

The National Western Stock Show comes to Denver every year. This was the 105th year that the show has come to town. Some call it the "Superbowl of Livestock Shows".... which is why it brings such a tremendous crowd of people each year.

The children love to go. Who am I kidding? I love to go! So does Adrian! It's just a fun atmosphere to be in. I think it reminds me of my parent's farm and my childhood. It reminds Adrian of his grandparents' farms and a piece of his childhood. It brings a little bit of country to the big city for a few weeks.

Adrian bought us tickets to the rodeo. Off we scurried in the van to take in a few of the exhibits before we settled into our seats for the show.

There were so many different types of things for sale. Lots and lots of cowboy boots and hats. Leather furniture. Belt buckles. Cattle chutes. But they had some neat wood carvings as well. This bear one was kind of scary.

There were also animals on exhibit, like this caged-in rooster. I was actually trying to take a picture of the rooster in the cage next to him, because he looked like "Wilson", a dearly beloved rooster in the family... but this guy demanded attention. So he got the photo shoot. Sorry Wilson. I'll try and get a picture for you next year.


There was a petting zoo for the children to explore and a carousel for the kids to ride on. A real carousel. They don't mess around with imitations at the Stock Show.


Before we knew it, it was time for the rodeo to start! We stood for the National Anthem. The Rodeo Queens came out to present colors. This was the Rodeo Queen from Colorado. Adrian and I think Susie could be a Rodeo Queen. After all, royalty is in her blood....

First up was Bronco Bustin'. This cowboy was bareback. He is crazy. I don't even know who he is, but after watching this event, I'm pretty sure he is crazy. They also had Bronco Bustin' with saddles. Not a safe activity to participate in.


There was bull riding as well. Just watching this bull gyrate and snort would make me quiver in my Justin boots if I were a cowboy.

There was some activity, don't remember what this is called, where one cowboy heads off the calf and the other cowboy jumps off his horse and tackles the calf. It was kind of intense.

Here is the cowboy getting that calf to lay down on the ground. There's more to it than it looks like, because about half of the cowboys failed in their attempts. I'm just glad my dad never made me do this on the farm. I would've been trampled.


There was also barrel racing, some other type of activity involving two cowboys, a calf and some rope and, of course, Mutton Bustin'. In case you've never heard of it before, it involves putting a young child (with a helmet on) on top of a lamb that's ready to take off like a rocket. You cheer as the little tyke tries to hang on for dear life. I think Peter would be a perfect candidate to participate in this show of young rodeo athleticism. He's tough, that little guy.

The funniest part of the night might have occurred when this calf refused to leave the middle of the ring. After being roped by a cowboy, he just dropped right down and gave up. I kind of felt sorry for the little fella.

He's not dead. He's just humiliated and forlorn. This went on for a little while. Some cowboys even brought out a stretcher to carry him off in. At that point, he finally decided to just get up and get out of that arena. Talk about a drama cow.

We all had a great time at the Stock Show. Of course, we would have loved it if Grandpa, Grandma and Caleb could have been with us again this year. Maybe next time?
If you are ever in Denver in early January, looking for something fun to do, you should definitely buy some tickets to the rodeo. I have yet to be disappointed.

1 comment:

Shannon M. said...

I have begged for years (several in a row) to go. Still haven't gotten there. Maybe a solo trip or a girls only excursion is in my future.