January 28, 2011

cre·ate [kree-eyt]
verb, -at·ed, -at·ing, adjective

to evolve from one's own thought or imagination, as a work of art or an invention.


One of my dear friends is swollen with child. Friends gathered with her a few weeks ago to celebrate that time honored tradition of eating cake, playing silly little games, exchanging labor and birth stories, and, of course, watching the soon-to-be mother open all those carefully wrapped gifts filled with exquisite little things for the new baby. 

It's been a while since I've shopped the infant section in the stores. You know, after a few kids, you basically have everything you need and you tend to stop going past the baby sections because your house is already busting at the seams with stuff. However, there are some pretty neat baby items that are new to me. Do I need them? no. But, are they super cool gifts for an expectant mom? YES! 
Here was one of my favorite, neat baby items that I was just made aware of.
Isn't it interesting? It's a bottle dryer that looks like blades of grass. I thought it was fun. You can check it out at Amazon.com Boon Grass Drying Rack I am thinking about just getting one to dry my dishes on. I even think it might work for canning jars!


Under pressure to think of a nice baby gift, I finally decided to try and make a handmade gift. I have a sewing machine that basically collects dust. I figured it was high time to get that baby out and do something with it. The challenge was to come up with a gift that I was actually capable of sewing and also being able to get the project done in time. I decided to make a hooded blanket.
I will spare you the details for the time being, but it really turned out pretty great. I even think I'm going to try and make some more of them. Especially since there are at least half a dozen pregnant ladies that I know of right now.


This is what I came up with. I found a pattern on another blog, tweaked it a little, and it turned out really great! See that baby chick on the hood? I designed that and appliqued it all by myself. Amazingly, it looks okay!



So, I then attempted another hooded towel. This time my inspiration came from Maggie, our princess. This one turned out okay as well. I didn't especially enjoy working with binding, but I think the more I play around with it the better I will get.

This is where my creative talent ends for the week. I have a party to plan for and a much needed hair appointment to get to. Have a good weekend!!!

1 comment:

Angelique said...

...and I'm the lucky one to have all three of these pictured items! :) Thanks again for the blankets, Linda. I know I've said it time and time again but it seems I can't say "thank you" enough for the time and thought you put into those blankets (and so many other things)!