December 16, 2010

The Twelve Days of Christmas...

Most people are familiar with the Christmas carol, "The Twelve Days of Christmas", right? We have all tried, be it successfully or unsuccessfully, to sing along when we hear it played on the radio. It's kind of a mind bender to see if you can remember what comes next.... is it 9 ladies dancing and 10 lords a leaping or the other way around???  My children find it to be great fun to sing this carol. We even have a few versions of it on my iPod so we can joyfully listen to it over, and over,and over! Well, this song has had me thinking overtime about this subject lately. Here's a few of the things that have meandered through my head....

1. I always thought I was being a little "original" when, after you sing "5 golden rings!", I would add a little "da,da,dum, dum" after it. Guess what.... it wasn't original at all! I think I was simply copying Miss Piggy from the Muppets in their performance of this carol way back in 1979 when I was a very impressionable toddler. Here is a link so you can check it out yourself.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHR3J_RP1Do&feature=related


2. I do have a favorite version of this carol, mostly because it's a little goofy and different than everyone else's take on it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Fe11OlMiz8

3. I do, with my whole heart, believe that this was probably a song written by Christians to be a type of catechismal song to teach children the Catholic faith. I mostly believe this because Wikipedia doesn't. And also because Christians are truly the only ones interested in Christmas and therefore wrote all the best Christmas hymns and carols. Argue with me if you want, but I'm not going to change my mind.

4. My guess is that most people believe the 12 days of Christmas are the countdown to when Christmas begins and have no actual idea what it is supposed to represent.

5. I would love to get 5 golden rings for Christmas. I like white gold by the way, just so you know.

6. I think Christians should assert themselves and NOT get into Christmas frenzy. Maybe the Lutherans could start a type of Christmas reformation and only do Advent activities in the days leading up to Christmas Eve. No shopping, no decorating, no putting up of the Christmas tree, and then....

7. On Christmas Eve put our trees up and decorate them.

8. Actually celebrate the festival day of Christmas as the first day of Christmas!

9. Celebrate the 12 days of Christmas by then doing our shopping (think of all the great sale prices you'd be getting!) and singing our Christmas carols and hymns to others. Baking our cookies and doing our Christmas crafts.

10. You could have an option of letting your children open 1 gift a day until Epiphany or just wait until Epiphany to open your gifts. We have a lot of kids, so this might get expensive for us if we opened a gift a day... for 12 days!

11. Revel in the fact that the world believes Christmas is over and is now looking forward to boozing it up on New Year's Eve or getting ready to join Weight Watchers. We can finally have a Christmas time that is free from commercialization and marketing schemes.

12. Celebrate Epiphany and take our trees down.


Maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part as I've been feeling frazzled by all the pre-Christmas craziness. But, my husband and I have talked about doing this. Maybe next year we will implement it. Until then, presents need to be wrapped, more cookies need to be baked and Christmas programs and parties are in full force this week.
Kyrie Eleison....

3 comments:

Shannon M. said...

Our Christmas tree is usually purchased the Saturday before Christmas (timing for real trees is crucial), decorated the next day (just because during the work week not much else gets accomplished) and taken down after the Epiphany service. The pine needle piles are evidence that we’ve waited probably a little too long but let’s just be thankful not many people have real candles on their tree anymore.

Rani said...

I love this idea. I wonder if I could get my hubby to do it next year?

Judy M. said...

We have celebrated the 12 days of Christmas since our children were very young. We only allow them to open one present a day. I take advantage of some of the sales after Christmas so that an extra gift or two often appears under the tree. With our large family we do not buy twelve gifts for each child. We try to do something fun as a family each day. Make a gingerbread house, or Christmas ornament, play a game of To Bethlehem, etc. Sometimes there will be one Christmas gift under the tree for the family to open, such as microwave popcorn and a movie for the whole family to watch. I must admit we decorate earlier than Christmas eve though because the kids beg to have it up earlier. We've had alot of fun with this tradition. Also Christmas is always such a busy day for a pastor that it makes it a more relaxing way to spend Christmas.