December 10, 2010

Remembering Our Past to Enrich Our Future

Recently, I have been made aware of just how sentimental I am in nature. It was brought to the forefront when I decided on a whim, like usual, to clean out a closet. We have a spare bedroom, of which I had shoved everything possible into that closet to deal with later. School pictures, baby photos, various art projects, trophies, old newspaper clippings, birthday cards, baby cards, thank you cards, get well soon cards.... do you see a pattern here?
After I opened the boxes and dumped out heaps upon heaps of cards, I realized that I have a problem throwing things away, especially cards. And, as I pondered this in my pile of paper, I realized that I hold memories with each of those. A signature by Adrian's grandparents, who died a few years ago, is a link to the past. Their signature was part of who they were, and it's a part of my children. The same goes for cards with signatures of aunts, uncles, parents, friends. I was having a hard time deciding what should go and what I could keep. Finally, I came to the conclusion that I didn't have to keep every card that had a memory. One would do. So, thankfully, I won't have to be scheduled as a guest on the show Hoarders yet.

This "cleaning" episode has also made me ponder whether or not people concern themselves with the past anymore. After all, technology is always pushing us into the future, making us guess what might be around the next corner. It's great. Technology has allowed us to do wonderful, incredible things. But, I think we all need to slow down a bit occasionally and think about the past, about our ancestors and our heritage. What did your grandparents or your great-grandparents value and why? Did they struggle or was life easy for them? What pleasures did they seek and would it be something that you would consider fun or pleasurable in this age? We can learn a great deal about life from our ancestors tribulations and achievements. It can enrich your own family.... all you need to do is spend a little bit of time researching your family. Ask your parents questions, your aunts and uncles, your grandparents... you may be surprised at what you uncover!

I guess this post is leading me into the next post.... which will be about "old" family cookies and traditions. I only hope that my cookies turn out half as good as my mother's or mother-in-law's!

1 comment:

Shannon M. said...

I have a suggestion for the cards that don't make the cut. Use them as gift tags for presents. Cut out the pictures and write on the back. Of course the children could help.
We too have tons of things I refuse to throw away as I was reading this I thought, "This sounds like me."