December 21, 2010

Goodnight, Moon.

Did you watch the total lunar eclipse last night?

It was pretty awesome.
I love to watch the stars twinkle at night, and I also enjoy looking at the moon. Especially when you are camping in the mountains and the night sky is your main form of entertainment. God's handiwork is amazing.
           "When I look at your heavens, the work of your fingers, the moon and the stars,
             which you have set in place, what is man that you are mindful of him, and the son
             of man that you care for him?"     Psalm 8:3-4


So, it was, that Joanna informed me yesterday that she would like to stay up late to watch the full lunar eclipse. I am not quite sure how she obtained this information, that the lunar eclipse was happening last night, or how she knew the exact time it would start (my guess is that she read it somewhere). But, since we are terribly mean parents, we said, "No". C'mon people, it didn't end until 1:30am.... would you let your kids stay up that late? Instead, I promised her that I would take pictures of the eclipse. It worked out great because I was also able to clean the kitchen and wash the inside of my refrigerator (which had hairy green tennants living inside that needed to vacate the premises) at the same time.

What I did feel a little guilty about is the fact that, after reading a bit this morning, I came to realize that this lunar eclipse (which happened on winter solstice) hasn't taken place since 1638. Sorry Joanna!

Here are a few pictures of the moon as the evening progressed.... I tried to take them just about every 15 minutes. 







 

I didn't stay up until 1:30am either. Instead, I went to bed a little after midnight. So, I don't actually have the full lunar eclipse, but at least you get a good picture of what it looked like at the beginning. Pretty neat, huh?

1 comment:

Angelique said...

I'll have to show you my pics. We stayed up and photographed the "red" moon. It was very cool...of course today I'm exhausted!